Noun/verb pairs and stress
There are certain two-syllable noun/verb pairs in English that change both part of speech AND definition depending on the stress of the word. Two-syllable noun have a Oo stress pattern while verbs have a oO stress pattern. Look at the chart to see the stress pattern and the change in definition.
|Change from noun (Oo) to verb (oO) and defintion|
|OBject (n) / obJECT(v)||n. a non-living thing/v. to disagree|
|PREsent (n) / preSENT(v)||n. these days; a gift/v. to introduce someone; to give|
|PROduce (n) / proDUCE(v)||n. fruits and vegetables/v. to create; to cause|
|REcord (n) / reCORD (v)||n. a document; a vinyl audio disc/v. to copy|
|PROject (n) / proJECT (v)||n. an assignment; a plan/v. to influence; to predict|
|SUBject (n) / subJECT (v)||n. a course of study; a topic/v. to make someone suffer or impose something on someone|
|SURvey (n) / surVEY (v)||n. a question form/v. to examine|
|SUSpect (n) / susPECT (v)||n. a person who might be guilty/v. to believe to be true or probable|
Indicate Oo or oO in the space provided to indicate if it is a noun or a verb.
1. I would like to present my friend. ___
2. He has no record of his past taxes. ___
3. She only buys produce because she is a vegetarian. ___
4. He always projects his negative attitude on others. ___
5. I don’t want to subject my friends to my problems. ___
6. I hate talking to him because he objects to everything you say. ___
8. The architect surveyed the ruins for artifacts. ___
Answers to last week’s Check Yourself
Using the chart above, complete the following sentences with the correct word. If the word is used as a verb, be sure to use the appropriate tense.
1. I should have prepared more for the interview. I completely _bombed_ it.
2. I can’t _stomach__ people who talk about how much money they have.
3. On average, the human body is composed of 60% _water_.
4. He always gets __carded__ at the liquor store because he looks so young.
5. I was completely __floored__ when my parents told me I was adopted.
6. I would like to know who is __heading__ the research project.
7. He asked me what the __total__ was for the damage.
8. The mafia boss went to jail because one of his employees __ratted__ on him.
9. The contestant _nailed__ all the answers and won the game show.
10. Would you mind __handing__ me those scissors over there?